Thursday, December 30, 2010

She has to have wit

Among the requisite characteristics that I look for in a woman there is a quality so understated but ever so necessary and that is wit.

Grace, dignity, charm and beauty she must have but wit is that quality that makes me smile and with that smile I'm saying, "Aha! She gets it!" See, wit is different from sarcasm which is often brash and reactive. Wit is contemplative, informed, nonchalant, understated and is best dispensed with a sly smile and a raised eyebrow.

Wit and banter go hand in hand. If she can entertain banter and sprinkle in a tease of wit here and there, while revealing herself through conversation, she is most likely a keeper. Or if nothing else, a great conversationalist.

I'm not sure if wit is a forethought, afterthought, is intentional or unintentional. But one thing I do know is that when I see it, I recognize it.

Wit is never heavily doused but dispensed in potent metered doses.

-WAC, III-

No comments:

Post a Comment