Saturday, December 25, 2010

That's what Christmas means to me...

I woke up early this morning, thoughts swirling in my head. These thoughts, however, were not the typical befuddled thoughts of most ante meridiem contemplations - rather, they were moving with purpose and clarity: today is Christmas morning. These thoughts that formed a perfect maelstrom of images and concepts were the culmination of the previous day, Christmas Eve. Throughout Christmas Eve I was engaged with my family in some of our traditional activities. We sat around most of the day, doing nothing - last minute present wrapping and talking about whatever. Towards the early evening we all packed into our cars and headed off to our church, to pick up food we were going to deliver to families in need. After we dropped the food off and prayed with the families, we left to go to Christmas Eve service. where we sang songs and heard the message of the true meaning of Christmas, the birth of Jesus Christ. After church, we headed home, where my Dad helped my 3 year old nephew bake cookies (which he unsurprisingly messed up in the cutest way), and his mother (my sister) helped him write a letter, which he would leave for Santa. We then watched our Christmas movies - A Charlie Brown Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and (after we put my nephew to sleep), Scrooged. Around midnight, everyone said their goodnights, and headed to bed for the night.

We've done some version of this as long as I can remember, and it is always a very happy time for me. This year, however, was tinged with sadness, but the sadness was not my own. One of my friends was spending Christmas with our family this year, because her work schedule would not allow her to be with her family. As she spent Christmas Eve with us and our traditions, it became very evident that she was sad to be away from her family. In light of her sadness, I tried to imagine what it would be like to spend Christmas away from my own family, and was immediately overcome with emotion. In the midst of this contemplation, I realized that for me, Christmas isn't about the traditions that I've enjoyed so much over the years. It isn't about the joy I get from giving gifts to my family and friends, or the service I do for those in need. Christmas is about the family I spend the time with, the individuals I love and who love me so much, that make it all special. That is the greatest gift God could have given me in this lifetime. Despite whatever else might be going on in my life, I always have my family to depend upon and call on.

In this season of giving and receiving, of bright lights and festive music, I am called to remember MY true meaning of Christmas - Family. I thank God for the blessing of family, and pray that I never take them for granted.

Merry Christmas!

There are many songs that speak to the joys of family. Here is one I like right now, done by Driis (Idris Elba), a surprisingly good artist: Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment