Wednesday, December 29, 2010

America: Land of the Free, Home of the...Behind?

So after my first night in Paris, I've come to a realization (of which I've had inklings much prior to now): us Americans (United States) are far behind any of our peers worldwide in languages learned. Everyone in Paris it seems is fluent or at least has an operational command of a minimum of one language other than their native French. We seem to be the only nation who does not require its inhabitants to learn another language other than English from an early age. This deficit has left me feeling very unintelligent, and quite ashamed.

I am convinced that the United States needs to mandate that children learn at least one other language, starting in elementary school, at the latest. The world is becoming increasingly smaller, and it only makes sense that we as Americans know other languages. I, for one, will make sure that my children speak another language fluently before they begin grade school. Until America makes changes to education to reflect this need, I believe you should too.

-JMC-

No comments:

Post a Comment