Thursday, December 23, 2010

Tailor Made

Fashion is a term that's thrown around like a hot potato. The validation of the transient whims of such a term are propagated by the blogosphere, magazines, and ads telling you what's in and what's out. O, but then there is style.... Style encompasses a few things, in no particular order mainly: inspiration, innovation, and state of mind followed by a healthy dose of nonchalance. Your style says a lot about how you choose to present yourself to society. I wrestled with how I would describe my style. Aptly put my style is best characterized as "intentional and appropriate". Boring, huh? Were you looking for something such as "modern gentleman", "hipster", "vintage" or "new wave"? Admittedly, I'm not the most trendiest person but I do pick up inspiration from current trends. Not every trend fits into my personal style which overall , is more important to me than current trends and fads.

I try to maintain a style that is by no means affectated. Yes that sounds oximoronic but there is a certain art to wearing well put together clothes as if you're not trying. Its the same virtue as learning to play Fur Elise and then playing Fur Elise for an audience while enjoying it.


Here are some pictures from a friend's law school graduation from this past spring. What I want to draw your attention to is the selection, fit, and  relative ease with which the clothes are worn.

I remember when I first started wearing suits. They were a far cry from what you see in these pictures! They used to be the eight button, hottest new color, "NBA special" variety. That was before I knew anything about cut, fabric choice, button stance, or the difference between a peak and notch lapel. But times have changed and as a result my style has matured. What you see in these pictures is a Made to Measure charcoal, single breasted, two button, notch lapel, side vented suit from clothier Tom James. I like suits because there is a certain air of distinction that makes one feel regal that comes along with wearing them.
One thing to remember about style is that it doesn't have to be profound or abstract but at all times it has to represent YOU. Things to keep in mind in selecting clothes that suit you are: cut, size, proportion, color, price, and quality. I admit, dressing well doesn't happpen all at once. Its a process of trial and error by way of discovery that builds familiarity.
Its ok to be polished just as long as the polish doesn't outshine you but enhances you.
-WAC, III-

No comments:

Post a Comment