Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The newness

A usual conversation with a good friend of mine produced some very insightful thoughts regarding relationships. Here's what she had to say:

"You can tell when a relationship is special because you are always excited by and about that person. Even if you have known them for a while there are always things about them that impress you, fascinate you, things that you simply look forward to. Everyday with them is something refreshing. Getting to know them never gets old."

Do you remember the innocence we had about relationships in middle school? You know, where you had to get a girls number by pen and paper. The same innocence where you were anxious to call her (but you couldn't do so for three days), nervous when she picked up, and excited if and when she called you back. Remember that? I do. As a man, I'm looking for someone who I can be that innocent with because it was that innocence that kept me on my toes. I'm looking for that lady that can unassumingly make my day. Not in some performed, perfunctory, or ostentatious manner but in a manner in which she's taken the time to listen to me, absorb the subtilties of my person, and is comfortable enough with herself to present me with her interpretation of such.

There's a dance between intrigue, excitement, and mystery and this dance has to incorporate all three equally else disinterest knocks at the door.

I'm looking for that newness that if in a relationship things happen to get stale, I can retreat to that newness and reminisce for a while until I can figure out how to make the situation less complex and more innocent.

-WAC, III-

No comments:

Post a Comment